Monday, February 14, 2011

Holy, Holey, Holly ...

Hello Folks,


I was all prepared to start out for Ruidoso but as usual was distracted by something else ...




I am not a typist at all .. never was trained in how to type properly ... just use the old 'hunt and peck' style of two fingered typing ... that is basically how I discovered the key to the message from 'Phil S' ... just made a whole bunch of mistakes ...




I had been out at the the air force base .. chatting with some folks ... and we started talking about the 'cold war', fail safe missions, doomsday scenarios, etc. ... you name it ... the museum curator at the air base mentioned B-52s and fail-safe flights and one thing lead to another and we started talking about the the Atlas and Titan nuclear missile programs ...




He mentioned that the abandoned Atlas silos were still out there in the countryside .... OK .. so I started 'googling' them ... I am right handed ... all my typing errors are to the right of the key I mean to strike .. so if I am typing the word 'frank' .. it might come out ' frsmk' ...




So I start searching for missile and I completely flub it and it comes out ... ,ossle ... so 'Phil S' had posted ',odd;r do;p' ... so looking at my mistake and comparing it to the one from 'Phil S' gave me the idea to    type what 'Phil S' did but hit every key just to the left of what 'Phil S' had typed ... if you do that you end with 'missile silo' ...




Now why 'Phil S' would do this I don't know .... so I start googling 'missile silo' and eventually I find this .... if you research this some more you soon find out the the military sold these sites and some are being used as homes and some are being used as server sites for data protection .... what I find interesting is that they are all 6 to 8 stories deep in the ground ... in other words they could be portals ...




The ground in this area is honeycombed with underground rivers ... there are tales told of trucks falling into sink holes and showing up in Carlsbad ... about 85 miles away ... with the drought the last two years ... it is possible there is underground interstate ... but for what ...




If you look at the missile sites on the above link ... the last one to the  west is 'right' ... I don't know if that is 'Phil S' meant by his 'right key' spelling of missile silo ... but it's no harm to check it out on the way to Ruidoso ... also ... this silo is south of the area where the actual 1947 saucer came down ... so .. no stopping me this time ... as I ride out on my black horse ...




I took some time off from 'alien hunting' and drove over to Clovis on Saturday ... to see the Norman Petty Studios where Buddy Holly recorded his first two albums ... I drove into town .. walked into a music store .. asked where the studio was .. the next thing I knew the store manager makes a phone call ... and I have a 2 hour guided tour of the studio left just the way it was when Buddy recorded ... same mics .. same recording gear ... same layout ... but it gets better ... just as I was getting ready to leave David Bigham comes in ...


David was part of a Norman Petty managed group called The Roses ... you can read about them here ... David then proceeded to tell stories of working with and traveling with Roy Orbison and Buddy Holly ... needless to say I was in awe ... the pictures I have included in this blog are from that visit ... one that I will never forget as long as I live ...


The first photo is of a placard outside the studio ... the second is of Norman in front of a control room tape machine ... the third is of Buddy and The Crickets ... the fourth is of the gold record for 'Peggy Sue' ... the fifth is of the studio reception area ... the sixth is of the original mic Buddy used for all his vocals ... the seventh is of Buddy and The Crickets celebrating the number one status of 'That'll Be The Day' ... the eighth is of the studio control room today ... and the photo below is of Buddy on the 'day the music died' ... that's Waylon Jennings on the left ...




I was offered a chance to meet Peggy Sue Gerron ... who still lives and works in Clovis .... yes ... that Peggy Sue ... I politely declined ... it just would have been too much ... like meeting Eleanor Rigby ... or Long Tall Sally ... or Maybelline ... just too much .... 


To quote from verse 1313 of the Krome Koan,


' ... when we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual ... so are our emotions in the presence of great art or music or literature, or acts of exemplary selfless courage such as those of Mohandas Gandhi or Martin Luther King, Jr. ... the notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both ...' 




The Ale i.a.n. Hunter

1 comment:

  1. Hey Phil!

    You are no longer Mike's cousin...

    from now on...YOU are my cousin!

    What a GREAT PIECE OF WORK!!!!

    Do you mind if i share your page with other music forum members?

    Major Twang
    Longhorn Ranch

    ReplyDelete